[plug] Network analysis info required

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 29 15:02:18 WST 2003

> Oh, and watch out for "bandwidth thieves" who may use your shared resource
> to take your link over any cap you may have. ( Of course, if you're in the
> UK, that may not apply. Yay Telstra. Not! ;-)

I'm in Perth, so it definitely does apply! (I use this old email address on
open mailing lists because I've got vigourous spam filters on it.)

How do these thieves work? My uplink is not capped, so they can have as much
of that as they like. :o) Having a capped downlink is wide open to a DoS
attack - just bombard it with packets - so that's something we just have to
live with. Is there some specific threat I need to be aware of?

--
> eatapple
core dump