[plug] [OT] eMule (Network analysis info required)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jul 29 22:42:52 WST 2003

> I think one of the shaper tools mentioned elsewhere might be the answer. I'll
> try along those lines.

I share my ADSL service with 3 others on a home LAN, and I'm using HTB
traffic scheduling and QoS with good results. It can't provide
guaranteed LATENCY, but you can provide solid and reasonable bandwidth
allocations to hosts, and you can control latency by keeping the link a
little below its maximum utilization. It also helps to give TCP ACKs
maximum priority on the link, followed by SYN, RST, and ssh traffic. SSH
is even nice enough to set the bulk flag on packets that are part of
port forwards etc, so if it fits your network you can reduce the
priority of 'bulk' ssh traffic. I've reduced its priority a little
except for between home & work, since I get my mail over an ssh tunnel
to work's IMAP server.

It takes a bit of learning, but it's well worth it.

Craig Ringer