[plug] [OT] eMule (Network analysis info required)

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 29 15:50:59 WST 2003

> I'm guessing thats 512/128 ADSL you're using?

Correct. :o)

> If so, with overheads, you only effectively get 12k/sec upstream on
> standard 512K/128K ADSL in my experience so you're basically saturating
> all of your upstream.  I'd try limiting eMule to use an upload of say
> 10k/sec and see if your download speeds are any better as a result.

I've actually tried reducing it right down to the point where eMule thinks I'm
cheating and reduces my download bandwidth. Below a certain point the problem
does go away, but eMule then operates at such a slow speed any downloads will
take forever to arrive. 10KB/sec upload speed is the limit for unrestricted
download speed, and that level doesn't help too much, although it does
perhaps seem a little better.

I think one of the shaper tools mentioned elsewhere might be the answer. I'll
try along those lines.

--
> eatapple
core dump