[plug] re: cannot ping internet from desktops

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Thu Jul 31 14:05:04 WST 2003

Got a client that has a rh8 server with shorewall firewall.  this server has 2 nic one attached to the ADSL cisco router supplied by telstra.
Their routing table looks okay, by this the default gateway is the IP address of the ethernet port of the ADSL router, the private IP address is listed to go through the def gw.  I double checked everything in this with a comparison of my routing table minus the VPN entries.

What was happening last night was from the server we could ping the internet, however from the desktop they couldn't yet the desktops had their def gw set to the Linux server.  Can anyone lend some light as to why the desktops cannot access the Internet?

Thanks

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby