[plug] re: cannot ping internet from desktops

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Thu Jul 31 14:00:50 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 31/07/2003 01:56 PM
-----

                      "Jon  Miller"
                      <jlmiller at mmtnetwo        To:       <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
                      rks.com.au>               cc:
                                                Subject:  [plug] re: cannot ping internet from desktops
                      31/07/2003 02:05
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

>Got a client that has a rh8 server with shorewall firewall.  this server
has 2 nic one attached to the ADSL >cisco router supplied by telstra.
>Their routing table looks okay, by this the default gateway is the IP
address of the ethernet port of the ADSL >router, the private IP address is
listed to go through the def gw.  I double checked everything in this with
a >comparison of my routing table minus the VPN entries.

>What was happening last night was from the server we could ping the
internet, however from the desktop they >couldn't yet the desktops had
their def gw set to the Linux server.  Can anyone lend some light as to why
the >desktops cannot access the Internet?

I know that this is probably pretty basic, and you've probably chaecked it,
but you haven't *said* that you'd checked it. Do you still have forwarding
enabled on the server. You know that "echo 1 > blah/blah/forward" thing.
That's the only reason I can think of immediately why the packets on the
intranet aren't getting out.

Regards
RichardM