[plug] Spammers stoop a new low :(

Kimberly Shelt kim at linmagau.org
Thu Jul 31 21:34:04 WST 2003

This evening I caught a nice little spammer on the LinMagAu site..

He had joined up as alfred_kojo  and then proceeded to write his
own version of the Nigerian scam..  sending a private message to
all members of the site..

asking people to write back to him at his "private address"..
alfred_kojo at hotmail.com

I am very pleased to say the only two people who actually read his
message were me and him.. as per the db.. which I changed to show
the message as read by all..thus members should not actually get the
spam :..it will probably sit in their message space..but there will
be no alert to members.. I will try to delete it totally in a moment :)

however..
This is the first spammer I have seen who is prepared to log onto
a site in order to deliver his crap..
and he must actually check the hotmail address in order for him to
get his confirmation passwd.. perhaps I /we should all thank him :)

He sent 250 odd messages which either means he sat on the site
and copy/pasted each user.. or I need to check to see if an
equiv "wall" function exists...

Sign of the times..heads up blog admins .. the spammers are not
getting cleverer..just more determined :(

Obiviously his account has had a change of passwd.. :)

Kimberly Shelt
--
http://www.linmagau.org