[plug] Using access db with OpenOffice.org

J Michael Gilks mike at gilks1.com
Thu Jun 5 16:48:07 WST 2003

Last night at the meeting, young Daniel asked me about accessing an Access
database from OpenOffice.org. I came across this snippet on the
OpenOffice.org website and thought it was worth sharing.

How do I access my Microsoft Access database files in OpenOffice.org?
Like in StarOffice 5.2, you of course still can access your Microsoft Access
database. Just the names and the syntax changed ....
First, you need the Microsoft Jet Engine for accessing MS Access database
files. It is part of the Microsoft Data Access Components MDAC. Download the
latest version of this package and install it.
Second, go to Tools/Data Sources, and in the upcoming dialog create a new data
source of type ADO, and as URL enter
  PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=<path_to_mdb_file>
(The "<"/">" belong to the "variable" ?when replacing the path, this should
result in something like "Data Source=C:\AllMyFiles\MyDB.mdb").

This is the full text from page
http://dba.openoffice.org/FAQ/index.html#subform

Of course I am sure you could also access this db through ODBC, but always
nice to have alternatives.

Hope this is helpful.

Love
Mike.