[plug] Wireless Authentication, Routing, Traffic control and Accounting

Stephen Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Sun Jun 8 13:03:44 WST 2003

>    http://www.hpi.net/whitepapers/warta/
>
>    This project came out of my employer's desire to deploy high
>speed
>    wireless internet to an underserved, mostly rural area. Although
>    very easy to do on the ground level, I found it to not be a cake
>    walk when it came to actually making it a viable network case --
>    in a "normally" deployed wireless network it is very easy to
>spoof
>    an IP or MAC address and hop on the network and get free
>bandwidth.
>    This is not acceptable and the acronym WARTA, Wireless
>    Authentication, Routing, Traffic control, Accounting was thought
>    up to cover the things that we needed to do.
>
>    This document exists to detail one solution to those looking to
>    deploy authentication-based, for-profit, tiered network services
>    over any Ethernet-based medium that utilizes industry standard
>    protocols to tie in with existing OSS resources.
>
>Cheers; Leon

I've been thinking about this for a small WAN (is that an oxymoron?)
for my neighbours down in the bush in Nannup, but it was suggested to
me that serving other people outside my own network would put me in
the position of needing a spectrum license of some sort.

Anybody have any thoughts or knowledge on this?

Thanks

Steve