[plug] Another network question (IP Aliasing)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jun 10 14:04:55 WST 2003

> You can even do the tagging split with weighting, like this:
>
>     route del default
>     ip route add default scope global \
>       nexthop via $GATEWAY1 dev eth1 weight 3 \
>       nexthop via $GATEWAY2 dev ppp0 weight 2
>
> This sends 60% of your outbound connections through eth1 and 40% through
> ppp0.

Nice. Too bad there isn't an equally good way to distribute incoming
connections except things like round-robbin DNS that require planning
and take a while to activate. Othewise, I'd be picking this setup in an
instant as a way of doing dual 56k (or more) to an ISP that doesn't
suppport multilink, like our current one. Alas, most of our important
traffic is externally initiated (email, etc) so any tricky routing
policies on the local machine wouldn't do any good.

Back to drooling over PRI ISDN. Wishful thinking.

Craig