[plug] Another network question (IP Aliasing)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jun 10 14:27:53 WST 2003

>>Nice. Too bad there isn't an equally good way to distribute incoming
>>connections except things like round-robbin DNS that require planning
>>and take a while to activate. Othewise, I'd be picking this setup in an
>>instant as a way of doing dual 56k (or more) to an ISP that doesn't
>>suppport multilink, like our current one. Alas, most of our important
>>traffic is externally initiated (email, etc) so any tricky routing
>>policies on the local machine wouldn't do any good.
>
> It depends on your setup, but you can maybe shift
> certain services to a separate link?
> e.g. all mail.

Not really. Our present link is quite fine, what we need is a fallback
that's not 33.6kbps (56k incoming data rate). There are no affordable
alternatives to ADSL available that I'm aware of - requirements being
always-on and preferably no incoming data charge.

I suppose BR ISDN (dual mode) would do the trick as a backup, but lets
just say its business pricing is ... extremely unattractive.

Craig