[plug] Craig's uplinks

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jun 10 23:01:52 WST 2003

>>Subiaco, the ADSL Exchange of Doom.
>
> No Request or Optus in sight for a while?

Request yes, but only the lower-end plans that go via Telstra and don't
provide an SLA. They don't seem to do premium DSL for our area.

> AmCom cable under the cement
> within cooee?

:-(

> Any other homes or businesses in LOS or UTP-reach that
> might have?

Unlikely to really do any good. If our DSL is down, there's a good
chance theirs is too - and they're not likely to have anything else.
Anyway, LoS from the POST isn't what you'd call expansive.

OTOH, the work to put our power underground is being completed now, and
they've dropped fibre conduit in everywhere - so its likely a solution
may be on the way. Some time. Maybe we can get wireless in the mean time.

It really does highlight the issues for businesses who need reliable
'net connections, though. You get to pay quite a lot for a connection
that is reliable, fast, and capable of any significant data transfers.
You can have any two cheap. I expect to pay somewhat of a premium for
reliability, but I also expect a degree of reliability from a basic
connection, and the reliability premium to be reasonable.

Now, if only iiNet were within 802.11b reach....

Craig