DOV ISDN Was Re: [plug] Another network question (IP Aliasing)

Rob Davies rob at ftp.rjdarts.com
Wed Jun 11 02:00:41 WST 2003

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 5:19:pm, Arkem (Paul) wrote:
> > I suppose BR ISDN (dual mode) would do the trick as a backup, but lets
> > just say its business pricing is ... extremely unattractive.
>
> This is one of my problems currently. We need to connect a remote office
> (at a residential location that currently supplies external web/mail
> services for the company) to the main office which has no option of ADSL
> but requires always on at speeds higher than dialup. The suggestion from
> the semi-technial management type was to use an ISDN link via Data Over
> Voice between the premises. But unfortunately buisness ISDN works on timed
> calls (thank you Telstra). Apparently the $40/month DoV ISP bill would be
> too steep and instead I need to figure out how to implement this =)
>
> Looks like I'm going to sit a DoV modem connected to the linux server (at
> the residential end) and have it dial a cisco router with a BRI interface
> at the head office and do it that way to take advantage of untimed
> residential ISDN calls versus timed buisness ISDN calls.

Make sure you inform Telstra it is a On Ramp Home and it is being connected
by person whom has a name on current bill at residence?? Not a business name.

All phone lines in residence will be reduced to two lines one data always(DoV)
when switching in dual channel (128k) you will lose all house phone
connections to data. Unless Telstra  allow a third line without losing on
Ramp Home, not sure about this one, let us know outcome though I would love a
third line, bastards said no.

> Do I need to have a router at one end? I've heard recently that the DoV
support in 2.4.20 is quite comprehensive but would it allow dial-in DoV
connections?

Find an old, but farely powerful retired machine and put IPcop 1.3 with
netjet pci card works a treat 10 min install has lots of extras, besides
being a firewall/gateway. Has option of settiing a vpn if security is an
issue? Will do trick, with a little thought.

> I guess I'll probably use a cisco router anyways since I can pick up at
> 1603 for $200 which is cheaper than a modern DoV modem(just).
>
> Is there anything I'm missing with this crazy scheme?

The router at the other end has to have DoV capabilities for it to work which
means a ISDN connection at office. ISP solution not looking so bad? But I am
not sure how traffic works as modem at office end would assume it is a non
data call, but all business ISDN is charged?

Check with Arachnet and Westnet as they supply DoV.

Another solution, just a guess as I do not know what web/mail services are
being supplied, but what about hosting as basic name hosting packages work
out around the 150-200 a year mark with about 1 gig of traffic or more.

Microwave, cost could be problem plus both need to be line of sight?

HTH
Rob Davies
rob at rjdarts.com