OT: decommissioned, was Re: Re: [plug] re: RAID5 & Hot Spares

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Thu Jun 12 15:16:28 WST 2003

Craig Ringer wrote:

> They run netscape 4? Only out of (5400-rpm-if-you're-lucky,
> no-DMA-to-speak-of) swap, I fear.

The high school I went to had quite a few 486s with 16Mb of RAM (I think
a couple originally only had 8Mb!!!).  Internet access was a 33.6K modem
that connected at 26.4kbps shared amongst 20 computers.  They used a
program by Artisoft called "iShare".  It was forever crashing.  All of
the computers had Netscape 4 on them, which was also forever crashing.
I think the reason for Netscape over IE was that at least when Netscape
crashed it didn't take Windows (95) with it... well, not all of the time
anyway. :P

That was my first experience with the internet... needless to say, it
was truly traumatic :)

/ Ben