[plug] Linux security idea - maybe

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Fri Jun 13 09:40:13 WST 2003

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:27, Bernd Felsche wrote:
>> (-: You did password LILO, didn't you? :-)

> What's the point of that? If somebody has physical access, they can
> either boot from their own media or rip out your hard drive and plug
> it into their own system.

If they have _enough_ physical access (ie screwdrivers and a lot of
time), yes. Otherwise it's an effective deterrent against "drive-by
rebootings".

As to the booting from other media, I have two more words on the subject
"BIOS password".

...or my more permanent approach, three words, "No removable media". (-:

Cheers; Leon