[plug] Linux security idea - maybe

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 13 10:08:51 WST 2003

> If they have _enough_ physical access (ie
> screwdrivers and a lot of time), yes. Otherwise it's
> an effective deterrent against "drive-by
rebootings".

> As to the booting from other media, I have two more
> words on the subject "BIOS password".
>
> ...or my more permanent approach, three words, "No
> removable media". (-:

Hopefully you won't need to boot from it yourself in
an emergency anytime soon... :)  It's always a
tradeoff between security and convenience, as the many
ideas in this thread have shown.

To quote Andrew Bartlett on the Samba list a while
back (requoted without permission, hope he doesn't
mind):

"The only _secure_ computer is turned off,
disconnected from the world, under five feet of
concrete with an armed guard standing on top. And then
someone will probably just bribe the guard..."

My 2c
Andrew

=====
Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.
Language, be it English or something else, is the only tool flexible
enough to accomplish a sufficiently broad range of tasks.
                          -- Bill Garrett