[plug] Fwd: re: [Talk] SCO news - analysts says they saw UNIX code in Linux

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Fri Jun 13 17:00:35 WST 2003

FYI

----------  Forward; originally to talk at auug.org.au  ----------

Subject: re: [Talk] SCO news - analysts says they saw UNIX code in Linux
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:55
From: Con Zymaris <DESPAMMED>
To: AUUG talk <DESPAMMED>

this is better than serialised Buck Rogers on the wireless...

More juicy tidbits:

   http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=627647250&fp=16&fpid=0

   Bill Claybrook, an analyst at Aberdeen Group Inc. in Boston, said he
   viewed some of SCO's disputed code and saw that SCO could
 potentially have a claim. But he said his opinion, based on a brief
 look at some of the code, is far different than a judge or jury
 reaching a verdict in the IBM case. "I have no idea" if there's a
 problem with the code, Claybrook added.

   "From what I've seen, I think people should be taking the SCO
   accusations seriously, but I don't know if they have any proof," he
   said.

   Claybrook said that though he was shown code that matched between
 Unix and Linux, he wasn't able to determine where the code had
 originated or how it might have gotten there.

   One thing that "bothered" him, he said, is that he asked SCO
 officials if they had any "direct evidence" that IBM copied any System
 V code into Linux and was first told there was no such evidence. Hours
 later, he said, SCO officials called him back and told him that they
 had "misspoken" and that they did have such evidence.

   "That's kind of strange," Claybrook said.