[plug] Debian TCP/IP routing question

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jun 16 13:27:36 WST 2003

Many thanks, Indy...

At 01:13 16/06/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Random thoughts you might test:
>
>Can you put a different network card in the machine and see what happens?

Hmmm... good thought.

>In particular one listed in the usual drivers?
>I don't really know in detail what the harden package does,
>but maybe there is a kernel patch level issue?

Will look into it.  IIRC the package info suggested a 2.4.19 kernel so I
thought I'd be safe with a 2.4.20.

>Did you check the /etc/resolv.conf later on?

Yes, no changes

>Maybe it or it's permissions got changed?
>
>(I know at some level it shouldn't make any difference, but it's worth a look)

Yes, that's why I decided to look at the permissions on everything I could
think of.   Am I basically correct, however, in my assumption that the
/etc/network/interfaces file is the "mother ship" of info regarding the
parameters to be used for interfaces?   Including the gateway ip addy?

Cheers,
Denis