[plug] Debian TCP/IP routing question

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jun 16 21:16:10 WST 2003

Dear Plug list members,

Earlier, I reported odd behaviour in a Debian machine after installing
Debian's "harden-environment" security package.

A small update on this one.   For various reasons it was simpler to reload
the OS rather than try another network card as suggested by Indy, so I
re-installed Debian[1], and behaviour is now "back to normal."   The MAC
address of the card is present, as I thought it was previously, in the
ifconfig listing.   Indy's suggestion of a possible kernel patch will be
investigated this time around, too.

There is a slim chance that I may be able to contribute something useful
by way of understanding what goes "wrong" when harden-environment comes
into play, so I will install h-e a bit later on.   Prior to that I will
install tripwire to monitor any file / permission changes.  Methinks
tripwire has an associated learning curve so here goes :-)

Cheers and thanks,
Denis

[1] Yes, I know this is Linux and not Windows but in either realm there is
nothing quite like starting with a clean slate.  And in Linux-land a clean
slate seems a lot easier to come by.