[plug] Writing a language?

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 16 15:31:03 WST 2003

On Monday 16 June 2003 11:09, John Usher (Maptek) wrote:
> Depending on exactly what you are going to use the language in, you
> might just want to consider embedding perl. Its *relatively* simple
> (compared to writing your own language), and gives you the power of
> perl!

Tcl is much better suited to the task than Perl. Writing new Tcl commands in C
is a piece of cake because the language was designed to be extended.

You can either embed Tcl into your existing code ("script-enabling" your
application) or embed you own code into Tcl, giving the language your own
custom commands. Either way is much easier than creating a modified Perl, or
writing your own language from scratch.

--
"...our desktop is falling behind stability-wise and feature wise to KDE
...when I went to Mexico in December to the facility where we launched gnome,