Unable to mount / (ext error 22) [plug]

speedster speedster at westnet.com.au
Tue Jun 17 21:16:37 WST 2003

Whoops, forgot the subject... (using a web-based email atm)

>Quite likely :-(
>If you did a "fsck -n -f" it'll be fine, but if you did a read/write
>fsck things might not be so happy. 13 hours strikes me as an
>amazingly
>long time... something funny must be going on.

Yeah I thought so too. During the inode pass there was a lot of disk
activity, but during directory scan there's little to none - and fsck
can't be interrupted with a ctrl-c (as a last resort). I did stop it
last night and on starting it this morning it didn't look like it
actually fixed anything (bar the bad superblock).

>OTOH, it might not be disk geometry that's the problem - in which
>case
>all bets are off.

The fact it actually prints the filenames (eg
/usr/lib/python-2.2blahblah) to me indicates it is reading the
directory structure properly.

I managed to get a copy of my DNS zone from my secondary ns (bind
forever!) so the only real loss is my website (not as though that was
really important though!)