Unable to mount / (ext error 22) [plug]

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Wed Jun 18 00:53:24 WST 2003

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 12:31:54AM +0800, Dean Holland wrote:
> back into rescue mode, i noticed that when fsck was spamming the console, it
> was the same group of dup/bad inodes, and wasn't deleting/cloning them.
>
> tune2fs (re)creating the journal allowed me to mount the partition as ext3,
> but I am still getting kernel panics on boot, and fsck still loops on the
> same files when scanning for dup blocks.

Are you using a relatively recent version of e2fsprogs? (e2fsck -V
will tell you). From memory, you'll want something at least version
1.28? (it's what a lot of things seem to recommend).

> I can actually get to the partition in rescue mode now, so I'll probably
> just recover what I can and format :)

The e2fsck man page says "If you manage to find a filesystem which
causes e2fsck to crash, or which e2fsck is unable to repair, please
report it to the author."

In other words, infinite loops should never happen :)

Regards,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham