[plug] updating woody to 2.4.20

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jun 18 09:41:49 WST 2003

> I found, however, that there does not appear to be a 2.4.20 package in
> the Woody main apt archives. Should I just change my sources list to
> unstable and install it from there or should I install the kernel the
> manual way?

It's usually easier in the long run (IMHO) to just use vanilla kernel
sources with debian, since the "make-kpkg" program is so wonderful. Just
"make menuconfig" or whatever, then "fakeroot make-kpkg" :-) . No need
to do it as root (read: don't do it as root) just make sure the kernel
sources are owned and writeable by your uid, then build under your
normal user. If you're feeling really paranoid, create a different user
like "kbuild" to do it.

Then again, I'm often working with patched kernels (sa7134, lm_sensors,
acpi, etc) and like different configurations to the defaults - if you're
happy with the default Debian kernels, it might be easier to get it from
sarge.

Craig Ringer