[plug] updating woody to 2.4.20

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jun 18 09:56:44 WST 2003

> If you're not the adventurous type at all, there are many documents
> describing how to make a kernel the debian way. This involves getting
> the actual source and building a .deb using make-kpkg, which just works
> very nicely - be *sure* to read up about initrd, otherwise you may find
> you have a non-bootable machine for a few heart-stopping hours :-)
> (Basically because the .deb when installed tweaks some symlinks in the
> root, which you then get to fix manually after booting from the rescue
> disk :-)

Hmm... forgot Debian isn't using GRUB as standard yet. It makes these
things /so/ much easier, and as it happens GRUB is easy to install on
debian in place of LILO. I found it best to remove LILO entirely after
GRUB was running well, since otherwise the kernel install scripts tried
to reinstall LILO onto the boot sector.

If you try this, as always, HAVE A RESCUE DISK HANDY. Some systems
mightn't like it, and it's always possible to make a mistake.

Craig Ringer