[plug] SA open source bill

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jun 18 12:48:47 WST 2003

> The best tech should win - simple as that. I know its a naive view, because
> many deals are done by non-tech folk with kickbacks etc, but that is more of a
> issue of accountability than anything.
>
> Laws promoting or demanding open protocols and file formats are infinitely
> better IMHO. All they would do is remove false barriers to entry, the very
> reason that Word and Excel are still so prevalent on the desktop.

I'm inclined to agree there - set the formats, and if a commercial
vendor can provide a solution which is sufficiently attractive in
support, cost, and quality - good on 'em. This way options are always
open, and nobody is being forced into inappropriate choices. There are
times when Linux + OO.o is /just not good enough/ for example - times
when a given OSS setup just won't fit the requirements. Organisations
should be free to use OSS when it's useful to do so, possibly enchancing
it to better suit their needs - and free to use commercial stuff when
that's more appropriate for their needs.

That said, nothing stops the gov't also requiring access to the code for
internal purposes, and this is quite sensible for some applications
(anything involving tax, criminal records, voting, etc). It doesn't hurt
the commercial vendor, after all.

Craig Ringer