[plug] SA open source bill

Simon Scott sscott at iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 18 12:40:44 WST 2003

In my view, the bill is anti-competitive.

For a group of people who love freedom, Im surprised so many Linux guys
support this sort of exclusion written into law.

The best tech should win - simple as that. I know its a naive view, because
many deals are done by non-tech folk with kickbacks etc, but that is more of a
issue of accountability than anything.

Laws promoting or demanding open protocols and file formats are infinitely
better IMHO. All they would do is remove false barriers to entry, the very
reason that Word and Excel are still so prevalent on the desktop.