[plug] updating woody to 2.4.20

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Wed Jun 18 14:39:37 WST 2003

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 02:30:47PM +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
> Maybe I did something wrong but... (excellent way to start a post)
>
> After updating to 2.4.20 under Woody none of my devices worked and I had
> no modules that I could install. Perhaps I just configured it wrongly or
> I need to find all the modules for this kernel and install them.

The quick way, is to grab the package kernel-source-2.4.20 out of
sid and install it (it should install under woody). Extract the tbz2
in /usr/src, copy your current .config file into it, (eg cp
/boot/config-2.4.18-bf /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.20/.config).

Run make oldconfig from within and probably answer no the new
questions that come up (if you didn't want them before, you won't
miss them now :)

Then type the magic command and start chanting.
make-kpkg --initrd --root-cmd fakeroot kernel-image

And within minutes (or hours :) you'll have a new shiny
kernel-image-2.4.20_i386.deb of some sort sitting in /usr/src, that
has all the same modules and settings as your previous kernel.

Install and cross your fingers! Installing it should update the
symlinks /vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old which lilo by default chooses.

HTH,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham