[plug] Xinerama on Radeon Mobility 7500

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Wed Jun 18 16:40:16 WST 2003

I thought I'd try out dual-head on my laptop.

>From the very start with a standard X configuration, if I plug a monitor
in at any time I get a clone of the LCD display.

The Radeon Mobility 7500 card in it works averagely, the drivers are a
bit stagnant, even on the XFree86 DRI trunk, but acceleration works a
bit when i want it to and everything else seems fine.

I've made the two devices (with same BusID) and two screens and set them
up in the ServerLayout section and X just starts normally as if I hadn't
changed a thing - cloning the LCD to the external monitor.  I've
included the Option "xinerama" "on" (or "true") line and also tried
startx -- +xinerama

Firstly) has anyone got X running on a Radeon Mobility 7500 'perfectly'?
- because if so we need to talk :)

Secondly) does anyone have any pointers about why xinerama is being
ignored? - assuming the 'radeon' R200 driver supports it as its
documentation insists it does

ryan at vaio:~$ xdpyinfo | egrep "screens|version:"
XFree86 version: 4.3.0
number of screens:    1

The relevant bits of the config:

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "Xinerama"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Radeon 7500 1"
        Driver          "radeon"
        BusID           "PCI:01:00:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Radeon 7500 2"
        Driver          "radeon"
        BusID           "PCI:01:00:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Display 1"
        HorizSync       28-50
        VertRefresh     43-75
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Display 2"
        HorizSync       28-50
        VertRefresh     43-75
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen 1"
        Device          "Radeon 7500 1"
        Monitor         "Display 1"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1600x1200"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen 2"
        Device          "Radeon 7500 2"
        Monitor         "Display 2"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1600x1200"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Simple Layout"
        Screen          "Screen 2"
        Screen          "Screen 1" Rightof "Screen 2"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "USB Mouse"
        InputDevice     "Touch Pad"
        Option          "Xinerama" "on"