[plug] Xinerama on Radeon Mobility 7500

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Jun 18 20:57:41 WST 2003

G'day,

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 04:40:16PM +0800, Ryan wrote:
| The relevant bits of the config:
|
| Section "ServerFlags"
|     Option "Xinerama"
| EndSection

Should be ServerLayout not ServerFlags?  At least that's what my machine
has.  You should have a ServerLayout that looks something like this:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Cameron's machine"
        Screen        "LH"
        Screen        "RH" RightOf "LH"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        Option "xinerama"
EndSection

But I don't think that's the whole problem.  What does /var/log/XFree*
say? Presumably it should tell you /why/ Xinerama isn't being switched
on - at least it helped me a bit.

I'm also a bit dubious about putting two "Device" sections with the same
BusID - have you tried setting up two "Screen" sections which use the
same device but different monitors?  (I've only ever tried Xinerama with
multiple graphics cards and have no experience whatsoever with ATI so I
can't really help you with any problem that may well be specific to this
driver.)

Also with XFree 4.3 I needed to put in an Option "sw_cursor" to make
things look right.  I'm not sure if this is Xinerama-specific or not.

I know someone who's running an ATI RV250 in Xinerama mode with some
degree of success; I don't believe he's on this list on account of him
living in Melbourne but if you want I could forward your message to him
or something in case he could help.

Cameron.