[plug] CUPS - race condition duplicating print requests?

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 18 18:09:36 WST 2003

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 09:07:11AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> >>Only when the mouse finger is under the influence of the DTs....
>
> >Finger-fault was the first thing I suspected! :-)
>
> After all, far too often in the IT world it's PEBKAC.
>
> Just dealt with one today ... though in fairness it's often not their
> fault. Too few apps give decent visual feedback about changes made by
> abberant clicks or accidental keyboard shortcuts - MS Word is a
> nightmare for this, as is any email program that lets columns be
> hidden/reordered by clicking on the column heading (though that one
> could be considered fairly visually obvious "if brain on").

The problem has been narrowed down to an lpd service running on a
DigiPort PortServer II which didn't like top handle the Linux
server's end-oj-job file requests, resulting in a "print failed"
behaviour and forcing a reprint to be spooled.... (errors reported
in /var/log/cups/error_log)

Fortunately, once can zap the ports directly using a socket address
to bypass the lpd in the stupid terminal server... will have to
investigate firmware upgrades - firmware is dated 1998!! so little
surprise about not being able to talk to a "new" machine.

So, now you know!

BTW: I put a sleep 3 in the print command to make sure it wouldn't
look like it wasn't doing any work. :-)