[plug] How to build a tunnel from PuTTY

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Thu Jun 19 07:44:09 WST 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 23:36, Leon Brooks wrote:
> Tunnel telnet or other insecure connections from an MS-Windows client
> safely across the internet, in through your Linux/Unix gateway to a
> server on the LAN.
>
>     http://www.cyberknights.com.au/doc/PuTTY-tunnelling-HOWTO.html
>
> Please criticise.

Who is your audience for this document?

While it has lots of pretty pictures, you could improve them by
highlighting the entries with a circle or red text.

Toward the end you ramble on a bit - IMHO :-)

The single-most important point is that the address of the telnet-server
(eg. the one on the remote end) may not be a name, it's the local
address *at* the remote end. This can get confusing if your local
machine has an address of say 192.168.1.12 and the remote server is
123.45.67.89 with the stuff that is behind it, 192.168.1.2.

Your requirements suggest Wine, but if you're running Wine, then you can
just re-direct a port with ssh on the machine that is running Wine.

You also state that the remote end needs to be a Linux or other Unix
gateway, but that's not true. Anything that accepts ssh (AFAIK) will
allow you to make a tunnel.

Nearly done - the top picture could do with some clarification. You talk
about source ports and target ports and tunnels, but the picture does
not really show that detail.

Finally, you give this recipe, but you don't actually tell us *why*. (I
know why, but your reader may not.)

My single biggest tip is to keep in the back of your mind at all times:
Who is the audience - keep reflecting on your explanation and keep
coming back to that.

Technically the document appears to be complete.

Now I have a question for you. At the bottom of the document you state
all the things that won't work. Can you please cite a source for that?
(I'm in the process of building an ssh tunnel for VoIP over a satellite
link and I'd like to know that it has a chance of working before I get
my hands dirty :-)

Hope this helps,

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 from S33:37'33" - E115:07'30" (Dunsborough, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..