[plug] Gentoo vs [insert ur fav distro here]

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jun 19 10:47:51 WST 2003

>>As for debian - things like KDE can take /forever/ to get updated even
>>in sid.
>
> It depends on your needs.

Yep. And I was replying to a Gentoo user. Gentoo is pretty much the very
definition of bleeding edge, and a slower update cycle (sometimes many
months behind) might well matter.

> If you need a bleeding-edge machine, perhaps your statement is true, but
> if you only care if it works - I'm not a linux developer, I write
> web-software and I really just need my machine to stay up - you might
> find that keeping up with the Joneses is really not all that important.

Yep. Myself, I don't touch KDE or GNOME with a barge pole - I have a
nice, simple, easily maintained desktop setup that "just works". I was
using a slightly customised IceWM for a long time, but XFCE4 has
impressed me enough that I'm using that as my standard desktop now.

Nonetheless, update cycles and such are an issue here, since he's
considering moving from gentoo to debian. I can only assume that the
goal is a precompiled copy of the bleeding edge, instead of having to
recompile it himself every time.

Craig Ringer