[plug] XMLFS

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Thu Jun 19 21:16:18 WST 2003

Hello,

I tried out a hobbyist implementation of XMLFS:

http://untethered.org/projects/xmlfs/

So far it seems really cool and works fine under 2.4.18 bf.

You create a mount point in your root directory make and then install
the modules and mount and specify xmlfs as a file type to mount.

I've been chatting to Seth in Jabber and he says he may be interested in
developing it further if there are any development or feature requests.

This is basically a RAM based file system so I plan to buy a new MB and
install 4GB DDR and attempt to install Linux on XMLFS which will be
interesting.

I could also try it with uni-XML:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/uni-xml/

But then I would have xml files inside an XML file! Nothing wrong with
that I guess...

I also talked with Seth about transforming the XML FS into other FS's
like vfat or ext2 or 3 and it seems that with further development it is
possible. An analogy for this is how you use XLST to transform a XML
document to HTML.

I also sent an e-mail to one of the developers at IBM so *might* get
some details about their implementation:

http://www.haifa.il.ibm.com/projects/storage/xmlfs/

regards,

Chris Caston