[plug] linux4imac?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Jun 20 16:37:17 WST 2003

> Okay can see this is not the place to ask for help, I need to find a
> newbie users group not the actual users group.

That's probably not fair. It just looks like nobody here is very
familiar with running linux on PPC machines like Macs - almost everyone
is using x86-based machines like Intel and AMD PCs.

Nobody can really post and say "sorry, no-one here has a copy of Yellow
Dog to bring along" after all - they can just wait to see if someone
/does/.

Someone has pointed you to the Yellow Dog website - you'll find they do
a version of linux for PPC machines that will probably run on your iMac.
If you can't download it and burn it to CD (slow internet connection, no
CD burner, whatever), perhaps a quiet request for someone to do that
would do the trick.

If someone answers a post to the effect of "this is what you'll need"
like they did, the usual assumption is that unless you post saying "what
now?" "didn't work," etc, that did the trick. I for one assumed you were
probably downloading the CD images you'd need.

I don't mean to flame here, only to point out why you got the responses
you did, or at least why I think you did.

Craig Ringer