[plug] php4 libpng seg fault

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Jun 20 23:37:13 WST 2003

Thats where I think someone made the mistake.  Many apps point at
libpng.so, which could be a symlink to the wrong version.  Do a "locate
libpng.so" and see what comes out of the woodwork.  This is where a
symlink to one version may help.  Many apps will just give the warning
message, but still run ok, or with reduced function.

rattus portage # locate libpng.so
/usr/lib/libpng.so
/usr/lib/libpng.so.3
/usr/lib/libpng.so.3.1.2.5
/usr/old/lib/libpng.so
/usr/old/lib/libpng.so.2
/usr/old/lib/libpng.so.2.1.0.12
/usr/old/usr-old/lib/libpng.so
/usr/old/usr-old/lib/libpng.so.3
/usr/old/usr-old/lib/libpng.so.3.1.2.3
/usr/old/usr-old/lib/libpng.so.3.1.2.4

/usr/lib is my current system, the /usr/old are remnants I should get
rid of - from moving partitions around.  At one time I was running
libpng.so.2, then later moved to libpng.so.3 - recompiled all the
affected apps and life went on.  On a Mandrake laptop, it was terminal
and life came to an unfortuante end and gentoo took its place ...

BillK