[plug] Server name

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Jun 22 16:45:29 WST 2003

Hello,

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 04:36:14PM +0800, Craig Dyke wrote:
| I am using DHCPCD to assign an IP address but would like
| to also set this assigned address to equal my server name.
| Can this be done?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking but if you mean using DHCP to
set a static IP address, it can be done - you stick something like the
following in your /etc/dhcpd.conf file:

host erdos {
  hardware ethernet 00:80:AD:76:35:7D;
  fixed-address erdos.home;
}

The hex digits are the MAC address of the machine in question which can
be obtained by running "ifconfig" on the machine itself or "arp" on another
machine on the same network segment.

Cameron.