[plug] Server name

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Jun 22 17:01:21 WST 2003

> I'm not entirely sure what you're asking but if you mean using DHCP to
> set a static IP address, it can be done - you stick something like the
> following in your /etc/dhcpd.conf file:
>
> host erdos {
>   hardware ethernet 00:80:AD:76:35:7D;
>   fixed-address erdos.home;
> }

Plus, you'll want the "use-host-decl-names on;" flag set (probably in
the subnet or global level) to ensure that the declared hostname is sent
to the DHCP client, instead of having to also declare "hostname blah"
for each host.

You can then configure BIND with a static address for that host in the
appropriate zone file, like:

hostname	IN	A	192.168.0.5;