[plug] kernel, nvidia, debian woody

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Jun 22 17:23:40 WST 2003

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 05:08:50PM +0800, John Knight wrote:

| I've tried make oldconfig and make dep, for use with alsa 0.9 and I'm
| trying to install the nvidia drivers at the moment, whih are trying to
| build their own, but give out an error abou the kernel headers not being
| installed properly. Does anyone have some guidelines or a howto on exactly
| how to configure them properly so that they will be up ad running properly?

The symlink to /usr/src/linux is probably unnecessary and may be doing
bad things - at least I've never needed to to that manually.

You need to Build You Kernel The Debian Way(TM) - ISTR someone on Plug
wrote something about it not long ago.  Basically you extract your
kernel sources somewhere in your home dir, copy in the .config file, and
run a magic incantation that begins with "fakeroot make-kpkg", and it
will spit out a few .deb packages for you to install.

Hmm - looking at man make-kpkg now it looks like it should be:

fakeroot make-kpkg --revision something --append-to-version -blah clean modules_clean binary modules

where the revision and append-to-version can be used to stamp your
kernel with something; e.g. the machine I'm typing this on has revision
cjp.erdos.6 and append-to-version -cjp-erdos so that way I can
distinguish between different attempts at building kernels and kernels
built for different machines.

Actually I'm not sure now whether modules will build properly with
fakeroot - maybe they have to be built with real root privs, I can't
remember.  Hopefully someone with more recent kernel experience will be
able to help with any problems with these instructions...

Cameron.