[plug] Database advice - Newbie

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jun 23 21:51:22 WST 2003

Hello, Jay.

Garry's already made a good suggestion regards getting hold of a book on
MySQL.  Another tack, if you've not done it already, might be to see
what's on offer on the web.   For instance I just did a Google against
java and mysql and got 1.25 million hits :-)   The first of which sounds
pertinent, amongst many others...
www.mysql.com/doc/en/Java.html

On the "PostgreSQL + various-languages" front there is also a lot on offer
including complete applications for web-based front ends.  Everything from
calendars, notepads and resource booking systems through to (would you
believe?) a complete (psychiatric) clinic application!   My point is that
there's a lot of stuff out there and you may get lucky in finding
something that can be easily adapted to your needs.

Good luck,
Denis