[plug] Database advice - Newbie

Garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Mon Jun 23 18:40:05 WST 2003

For a beginner, there is a book available at most newsagents that would let you have a look at some free tools. The book is called "Introduction to Mysql", costs about $15 and comes with a CD of software.

Another alternative, of course is to employ a consultant (I've heard $120/hr quoted). Going open source means less drama and better karma. Try mysql/mysql-navigator or postgresql, with php or even perl, and apache. For easy maintainance get a Debian box and apt-get to your heart's content! Have a chat to LinuxIT at linuxit.com.au if this sounds too hard..

HTH

Garry