[plug] Database advice - Newbie

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Tue Jun 24 09:27:02 WST 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 08:27, James Devenish wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 08:16:02AM +0800, Kirk Turner wrote:
> > I cant say how Java compares to PHP
>
> I don't like doing database work in PHP, though it's probably because I
> haven't seen enough enough opinions about its trustworthiness.

Being someone who uses only PHP to do database work, I can tell you that
I've not seen any issues with trustworthiness and I must confess that
getting something working in PHP is trivial.

I've been around databases since the ancient arts of Clipper (the summer
'86 edition :-) so I guess I've got some background in this.

Perhaps it would be interesting to point out that PHP doesn't actually
do any database stuff itself, all it does is call a database library -
which is why you can get so many different databases to work with PHP.

Some PHP developers have suggested that you need to go to a database
abstraction layer, but I'm currently just putting all the SQL statements
inside one library file, so if I want to change the engine, I tweak the
SQL and it's up and running within the hour.

Hope this helps,

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 from S33:37'33" - E115:07'30" (Dunsborough, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..