[plug] Database advice - Newbie

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jun 24 11:43:08 WST 2003

In message <1056418022.1025.33.camel at latte.internal.itmaze.com.au>
on Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 09:27:02AM +0800, Onno Benschop wrote:
> Being someone who uses only PHP to do database work, I can tell you that
> I've not seen any issues with trustworthiness and I must confess that
> getting something working in PHP is trivial.

I must be missing something. I've found (and perhaps because my
experiences are coloured by what it was like when working with DBs under
PHP in 1999/2000) that I can act like a "d*mb bl*nde" when using JDBC
and the consequences are correct all round (incl. the back end, which I
don't directly touch with my Java code). With PHP, I find I have to "set
the scene" and really cross-check what's going on (have been bitten
repeatedly). Also, some of my early JDBC experience included a query
construction "kit" (if I can call it that) which was really smooth
compared to trying to manipulate SQL queries. I especially don't like
constructing SQL text queries with PHP (is there another way?).