[plug] Fwd: Mandrake 9.0 to 9.1 upgrade

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jun 26 22:34:59 WST 2003

> I've had both symptoms - blinking keyboard LEDs under kmail deleting email and
> freeze-reset under (I'm not sure now) Open Office and/or Gimp? I'm not good
> at keeping records - just sigh, reset and reboot!

Well, then I'll have to give you the stock-standard "you're going to
hate this" answer - the problems you're seeing indicate possible
hardware issues. Make sure your CPU fan is working properly, that your
case is well ventilated, that your power supply isn't crap, etc. If
you've added any memory recently, perhaps your mobo doesn't like it.

It's hard to track down hardware faults. I tend to try to get a little
debug info (see if I can capture log msgs or a kernel panic, usually via
a null modem cable and serial console) first. Honestly, I've /never/ had
Linux kernel panic regularly without a hardware fault or very-pre-alpha
harware driver (rarely even then). I've only had an apparent hard crash
when a disk was failing and I was running X - the machine would just
stop responding and you couldn't switch out of X. I've had this happen
rather too often actually, but seem to have successfully identified and
purged all my dying HDDs now.

Craig Ringer