[plug] Fwd: Mandrake 9.0 to 9.1 upgrade

David Dartnall darts at dialix.com.au
Thu Jun 26 17:27:19 WST 2003

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:29 pm, Craig Ringer wrote:
> >>My current Mandrake 9.0 system seems slightly broken with occasional
> >>crashes causeing a boot time fsck check etc. Mozilla is definitely
> >>broken.
> >>
> >>I have the three 9.1 disks. Is it possible to upgrade to 9.1 and keep
> >>all the settings that I've worked on over the last six months? And if
> >>so, How?
> >
> > Boot the first CD, choose Upgrade.
>
> However, if your system is showing signs of breakage, an upgrade might
> not be the best idea. Depends a lot on what the problem is, though.
>
> Mozilla may be fixable by moving your old ~/.mozilla dir to, say,
> ~/.mozilla-old and creating a new profile. You can then migrate
> bookmarks, mail (if you use it for that and use POP3 not IMAP), etc.
> Depends on the nature of the problem - what exactly is happening?
>
> Crashing is interesting though. Does it just freeze and have to be
> hard-reset, or do you get a kernel panic (you can tell under X because
> the keyboard LEDs blink)?
>
> Craig Ringer
I've had both symptoms - blinking keyboard LEDs under kmail deleting email and
freeze-reset under (I'm not sure now) Open Office and/or Gimp? I'm not good
at keeping records - just sigh, reset and reboot!

regards and thanks to all of you guys who have responded - I'll let you know
how I get/got on when I get round to following yr advice...

Dave Dartnall