[plug] SuSE8.2 patches

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Jun 27 11:56:26 WST 2003

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 11:30:01AM +0800, Milan Pospisil wrote:
> Hi folks,
>After some brave attempts to modify my SuSE 8.2 installation and
>the following consequences I have decided to reinstall the whole
>system over the weekend. During the installation one of the options
>available is to install the patches from SuSE website which might
>take some considerable time as there are quite a few of them.

Yes; it can take a few hours at modem speeds.

You can improve download speeds by selecting a "local" mirror.
I use "http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/suse" which is not on the
list provided, but can be entered to over-ride other values.

>Do I necessarily need all of the patches available and if not which
>ones shall I choose to download and how do they actually work after
>having been downloaded?

The recommended subset, based on the packages you've installed on
your system, is selected automatically. There's no need to install
any other updates.

If you happen to subsequently install other packages, then re-run
the online update and it'll work out what's needed.

>Do they find their place and purpose in the system and do whatever
>they are supposed to do by themselves automaticaly, or do they get
>downloaded and stay dormant waiting for further instuctions to be
>activated?  Any answer would be greatly appreciated.

All the patches install "automagically". Pay attention to any
messages that might pop up. You may have to reboot the system for
some patches to take effect.