[plug] Multi-disk CD backups

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Fri Jun 27 14:15:05 WST 2003

Hi Folks,

I'm curious as to people's solutions to burning 10GB+ of data to CDs.

I'd ideally want to grab any disk from the set in the future and extract
the files on that CD only, without having to build an original tar file
of all the data from all the CDs before seeing what is in it.  Does the
tar --multi-volume feature break files up nicely to allow that - bits
I've read said for all operations except adding files, you needs all the
volumes?

Assuming it _does_ allow files to be restored from a single CD (assuming
no huge files spanned a CD), what does one do if they want to store the
volumes before writing?  Is there some mkisfso magic that could get
involved with the --new-volume-script= option?

A command like this:  tar cvf /tmp/blah.tar -M --tape-length=1024
somedir/

Makes a new volume each 1MB as expected, but wants to name all volumes
with the same name.

Has anyone wacked together a solution for this?  Tacking on bzip2 or
gzip would be desirable too.  A further dream would be to encrypt it in
some way that would not cause problems long into the future, but was not
trivial to bypass.

The files themselves are from an NT server, but I'm happy to tar them
and do any other necessary de-windozing.

Ryan