[plug] Multi-disk CD backups

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Jun 27 14:32:10 WST 2003

> I'm curious as to people's solutions to burning 10GB+ of data to CDs.

I've always put it in the "too damnn frustrating" bin and used DAT tapes
or a spare hard disk. I'd only be happy with multi-volume CD archives if
I could read any part of any of them, except of course files too big to
fit on one CD. In other words,  ISO9660 only, and avoiding splitting
files across CDs where possible.

I tried to do something up in Perl to do this then call mkisofs, but it
grew tangled, complex and painful as I began to see all the various
issues involved. I put it in the "too hard basket" and moved on to more
practical things. Maybe I'll try again later.

Nonetheless, the muti-volume TAR archive sounds like the closest to a
sane option you have if you have to use CDs. I take it that burning the
data to two DVDs instead is not an option?

Craig Ringer