[plug] Multi-disk CD backups

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Jun 27 15:07:51 WST 2003

Use perl to read a directory into a list, then parse the list, using zip
to add one file at a time to an archive up to 640M zip size.  Burn to
cdrw and move on to the next cd until list is done.

I use 5 cdrw's for a backup, but its quite SLOW, and inefficient at
adding the files, especially if there are a lot of small files.  But it
seems quite robust so far: reads the zips back in test mode and exits if
there is a failure!

I think perl has internal zip support, so there's probably ways to
improve the process.  Advantages are a single self contained zip archive
for each cd, a list file of whats stored where can be written out, so
finding and extracting one or more files is relatively easy.

Disadvantages: slow, manually changing cd's

BillK

--
Bill Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au>