[plug] Multi-disk CD backups

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Fri Jun 27 14:52:17 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 27/06/2003 02:46 PM
-----

                      Ryan
                      <ryan at is.as.geeky        To:       plug at plug.linux.org.au
                      .as>                     cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: [plug] Multi-disk CD backups
                      27/06/2003 02:27
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

>On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 14:15, Ryan dribbled on a fair bit:
<snip>

>he also typed mkisofs wrong :)

>Okay, I should add that another option is to run a script down the tree
>and compress everything using ZIP so it is windows backup catalog
>friendly (some specific software we use) and would thus have thousands
>of smallish ZIP files (I can handle that bit).

>What would be needed is a sane way to break them all up in that form so
>they are in 700MB volume directories.

>I saw something on freshmeat a while back that did this, but it was
>seriously buggy when i tried it and I had to give up.

>Anyone know of anything else

>Ryan

A friend of mine uses "dar" (disk archiver), which seems to do exactly
this. Here is a page about its use at "Collaborative Computational Project
Number 14 for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction" - so it's got to be
good  ;)

http://ccp14.semo.edu/ccp14admin/linux-server/dar_backup/index.html

dar is available at http://dar.linux.free.fr

Worth a look, I suppose.