[plug] Multi-disk CD backups

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Fri Jun 27 15:20:38 WST 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 14:52, Richard Meyer wrote:

> A friend of mine uses "dar" (disk archiver), which seems to do exactly
> this. Here is a page about its use at "Collaborative Computational Project
> Number 14 for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction" - so it's got to be
> good  ;)
>
> http://ccp14.semo.edu/ccp14admin/linux-server/dar_backup/index.html
>
> dar is available at http://dar.linux.free.fr

Thanks,

apt-get install dar :)

I found it on freshmeat and was reading that homepage when your mail
rolled in.  I've done a successful test and restore locally with it,
supposedly it indexes the backups so not all disks are required on a
restore.  It is not 100% of what I was after, but I think I can learn to
live with it :)

Although not applicable to my present need, the differential backup and
restore options look quite sexy.

This is all i needed to backup/restore:

dar -c /tmp/dar_test -s 1M -p -b -z -R ~/docs -D
dar -x /tmp/dar_test -R /tmp/dar_restore_test -w

Ryan