[plug] Internet Connection Problem

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Mar 1 17:29:16 WST 2003

William Kenworthy wrote:
> Type "route -n" at the root prompt and check for the correct gateway.
> Quite a common problem with new dialup installs ...
>
> and of course "man route"

if it looks like your default route isn't being set correctly, try
adding a line to /etc/ppp/options with just the word "defaultroute" on
it. You may also have to change something to stop RH assigning a default
route to the ethernet device if you have one - sorry, I'm a Debian user
so I can't help you there.

I note that you mentioned ipchains. I suggest that for debugging you(1)
stop all daemons you may have active like (x)inetd, apache, sshd, etc
etc, then flush your ipchains rules like this (I think, I'm working from
memory here and I only ever use iptables really):

ipchains -F	# flush rules from all chains
ipchains -X	# drop custom chains
ipchains -P INPUT ACCEPT	# make sure we accept all incoming
ipchains -P OUPUT ACCEPT	# accept all outgoiung

or ideally, just "rmmod ipchains" so that you know its not a factor. Its
easy to mess up firewall rules, so they're one of the first culprits to
eliminate during testing.

Craig